Monday, July 23, 2012

hor mok pla

streetfood. yup, that southeast asian phenomenon. some say these are our comfort food, food on the go and easy meals... even faster than the fastest fastfood. my june trip in thailand gave me another great sampling of thai streetfood. sukhumvit soi 11 provided my grilled pork on skewers, spicy minced pork with basil, while siam area (right in front of the paragon night market) gave me my almost quarterly sampling of omelette with minced pork and fried rice with chicken. of course, going back to aloft, i needed some sweets so it was sticky rice with ripe mangoes. not to mention the pad thai along soi 11!


during this trip, i also went to koh kret, just outside bangkok. before doing my "temple run", its narrow streets provided new and exciting streetfood fare. deep-fried flowers and various herbs got my attention and i quickly tried an assortment of crunchy flowers and leaves dipped in sweet and spicy sauce. in some other parts of asia, these flowers might be tea but in thailand, these were made kropeck-style crunchy snack. somewhat similar to hor mok pla (steamed fish curry in banana cup), i also got a chance to sample a fish-based snack. the vendor told me that it is considered a dessert but to me, it should have been eaten with rice. sweet because of the coconut milk, it might be something pinoys would consider as fish bola-bola.


cheap, tasty and exciting... i'm always up to try out new streetfoods (except perhaps in india). till my next streetfood trip!

No comments: