Tuesday, June 11, 2013

the hobbit

while it wasn't as grand and as engrossing as the LOTR trilogy, i still enjoyed the first installment of the hobbit. running for almost 3 hours, it never felt long. instead, i was actually hoping that it would continue to show what's in store for the bilbo and his gang. but of course, they had to divide it to 3 movies and the next one should be out by late this year. i must say that martin freeman lacks the screen presence for a central character (james mcavoy could have done better in this role) like bilbo but he carried himself quite well, especially in the company of the dwarves and gandalf. the adventure sequences were exciting and the whole movie was made entertaining by good banters such as below.



BilboBaggins: Good morning.
Gandalf: What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it to be or not or that you feel good this morning or that it is a morning to be good on?
Bilbo Baggins: All of them at once.

Bilbo Baggins: Why don't we have a game of riddles and if I win, you show me the way out of here?
Gollum: And if he loses? What then? Well if he loses precious then we eats it! If Baggins loses we eats it whole!
Bilbo Baggins: Fair enough.

Bilbo Baggins: I have... I have never used a sword in my life.
Gandalf: And I hope you never have to. But if you do, remember this: true courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.

Galadriel: Why the Halfling?
Gandalf: Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay... small acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? That's because I am afraid and he gives me courage.

Saruman: Do not speak to me of Radagast the Brown. He is a foolish fellow.
Gandalf: Well, he's odd, I'll grant you. He lives a solitary life...
Saruman: It's not that. It's his excessive consumption of mushrooms!

No comments: