Monday, February 27, 2012

la streep

third oscar for la streep. what a long, long time waiting but it finally happened. i'm one of the millions who are very glad that they finally rewarded a tour de force performance from "the best of them all".


never mind that viola davis lost... this is meryl's day. if she can get plum roles (african american actresses winning oscars or get nominated rarely get a second wind... see halle berry, mo'nique, taraji p. henson, among others), viola will still get her due some day. viola might have been oscarred today had meryl won just one over the lucky sandra bullock for her portrayal as julia child in julie and julia. most oscarologists predicted that viola davis will walk away with the oscar but they forgot that meryl won the golden globes, BAFTA, as well as a host of critics awards. of course, the help is an ensemble, viola is arguably a supporting character to emma stone's, while streep's lady thatcher is the focal point of the iron lady.


a fourth oscar isn't far-fetched, especially as meryl is still going strong. august: osage county should be a good vehicle. her speech at this year's oscar was truly one for the ages. bravo, meryl!

"When they called my name I had this feeling I could hear half of America going 'OH nooooo, oh come on. why Her? Again?' You know? But whatever.


First, I'm going to thank Don because when you thank your husband at the end of the speech they play him out with the music and I want him to know that everything I value most in our lives you've given me. And now secondly, my other partner, 37 years ago my first play in NYC i met the great hairstylist and makeup artist Roy Helland and we worked together pretty continuously since the day we clapped eyes on each other. His first film with me was Sophie's Choice and all the way up to tonight when he won for his beautiful work on The Iron Lady thirty years later every single movie in between. And I just want to thank Roy but also I want to thank -- because I really understand I'll never be up here again -- I really want to thank all my colleagues, all my friends. I look out here and I see my life before my eyes. My old friends. My new friends.

Really this is such a great honor but the thing that counts the most with me is the friendship and the love and the sheer joy we have shared making movies together. My friends thank you, all of you, departed and here for this, you know, inexplicably wonderful career. Thank you so much. Thank you."


No comments: