Thursday, March 4, 2010

robin


back in the days in nagkaisang nayon elem. school (nnes), we had this as a piece for a district-wide choral interpretation competition. we were in grade 3, our competition included grade 3 pupils from lagro, san agustin, kaligayahan and delfin geraldez: 4 schools plus nnes used to make up district 10 of quezon city. from what i recall, we didn't have any special costumes, unlike other schools that went complete with feathered costumes and headdresses. nnes kids were in our good old uniforms but we still went home with the 3rd place award.

nice to be a little bit nostalgic coz our batch celebrates 18th anniv of our graduation from nnes, where we learned pretty much all the basic and stock knowledge that we still know today. thanks to our wonderful and outstanding teachers like ma'ams lucia paras, rosa gutierrez, lolita ventura, priscilla cancino, elena dianzon, margarita vinarao, helen barnig, aurora bernal, teresita ferguson, aida dela cruz, rosario bonifacio, ceferina pomer, martina noveloso, marilou ramirez, heidi alejo, corazon paracha, alicia batol, thelma sedigo and haydee basug, among others.




Who killed Cock Robin?
I, said the Sparrow,
with my bow and arrow,
I killed Cock Robin.

Who saw him die?
I, said the Fly,
with my little eye,
I saw him die.

Who caught his blood?
I, said the Fish,
with my little dish,
I caught his blood.

Who'll make the shroud?
I, said the Beetle,
with my thread and needle,
I'll make the shroud.

Who'll dig his grave?
I, said the Owl,
with my pick and shovel,
I'll dig his grave.

Who'll be the parson?
I, said the Rook,
with my little book,
I'll be the parson.

Who'll be the clerk?
I, said the Lark,
if it's not in the dark,
I'll be the clerk.

Who'll carry the link?
I, said the Linnet,
I'll fetch it in a minute,
I'll carry the link.

Who'll be chief mourner?
I, said the Dove,
I mourn for my love,
I'll be chief mourner.

Who'll carry the coffin?
I, said the Kite,
if it's not through the night,
I'll carry the coffin.

Who'll bear the pall?
We, said the Wren,
both the cock and the hen,
We'll bear the pall.

Who'll sing a psalm?
I, said the Thrush,
as she sat on a bush,
I'll sing a psalm.

Who'll toll the bell?
I said the bull,
because I can pull,
I'll toll the bell.

All the birds of the air
fell a-sighing and a-sobbing,
when they heard the bell toll
for poor Cock Robin.

2 comments:

cath said...

waw..sounds like a dark rhyme. it has most of the symbols of death..from the shroud to the tolled death bell. windang siguro ko pag ni-recite ni kurt yan.
what's the poem about? hidden meaning? symbolisms?

dyoobshvili said...

naku, cath. di ko alam kung ano meaning nito! heheheh!