Wednesday, October 1, 2014

violet crawley

Since I'm so looking forward to its 5th season (now on the 2nd episode), it's high time to look back at Countess Dowager's killer lines from the four previous seasons of Downton Abbey. What long-lasting lines will we hear from her this time?!! Oh, Dame Maggie

Starting with my favorites and the rest of the bestest... enjoy!


 “Why do you always have to pretend to be nicer than the rest of us?”

“I don’t dislike him, I just don’t like him. Which is quite different.”

“Don’t be defeatist, dear, it’s very middle class.”

“I do hope I’m interrupting something.”

“It always happens when you give these little people power, it goes to their heads like strong drink.”

“You see, sometimes we must let the blow fall by degrees. Give him time to find the strength to face it.”

“What is a weekend?”

“Is this an instrument of communication or torture?”

“I was right about my maid. She’s leaving – to get married! How could she be so selfish?”

“Hepworth men don’t go in for loneliness much. I knew his father in the late 60s. Mais ou sont les neiges d’antan?” (Where are the snows of yesteryear?)

“Why does everyday involve a fight with an American?”

“Alas, I am beyond impropriety.”

“I will applaud your discretion when you leave.”

“Everyone goes down the aisle with half the story hidden.”

“Give him a date for when Mary’s out of mourning. No one wants to kiss a girl in black."

“Edith, you are a Lady, not Toad of Toad Hall.”

“No doubt you will regard this as rather unorthodox, my pushing into a man’s bedroom uninvited.”

"Wasn’t there a masked ball in Paris when cholera broke out? Half the guests were dead before they left the ballroom.”

“Last night! He looked so well. Of course it would happen to a foreigner. No Englishman would dream of dying in someone else’s house.”

“I’m a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose.”

Countess Violet: “Why would you want to go to a real school? You’re not a doctor’s daughter.”
Sybil: “Nobody learns anything from a governess, apart from French and how to curtsy.”
Countess Violet: “What else do you need? Are you thinking of a career in banking?”

Countess Violet: “You are quite wonderful the way you see room for improvement wherever you look. I never knew such reforming zeal.”
Mrs. Crawley: “I take that as a compliment.”
Countess Violet: “I must’ve said it wrong.”

“Sir Richard, life is a game, where the player must appear ridiculous.”

Sir Richard: “I’m leaving in the morning Lady Grantham. I doubt we’ll meet again.”
Countess Violet: “Do you promise?”

No comments: